What do you need to tell you health expert before taking Ambien CR?
- If you have an allergy to Zolpidem or any other part of Ambien CR (zolpidem extended-release tablets)
- If you are allergic to any similar kind of drug, food, or other substances. Tell your health expert about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash, hives, itching, shortness of breath, cough, swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat, or any other signs.
- If you have liver disease.
- If you are taking any other drug that can make you feel sleepy.
- If you are taking Rifampin or St. John’s Wort.
It is important that you should tell your health expert about all of your drugs and health problems. You must make sure that it is safe for you to take Ambien CR with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of the drug without consulting the prescription given along with the prescribed dose of the drug or without checking with your health expert.
What are some of the things you need to know or do while taking Ambien CR?
While you start taking a prescribed dose of Ambien CR, you need to know about or do the following things:-
- The drug may be habit-forming with long-term intake.
- When sleep drugs are taken for more than a few weeks, they may not work as well to help in treating sleep problems. This is known as tolerance. Hence sleep drugs like Ambien CR should be taken only for a short while. If sleep problems still persist, call your health expert.
- Do not take naps.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been lying or sitting down. Be careful when you ascend or descend stairs.
- Avoid alcohol completely while taking Ambien CR. Do not take the drug if you have consumed alcohol that day in the evening or before going to bed.
- Consult your health expert before you take other drugs or natural products that slow your actions.
- Some people indulge in doing activities without being fully aware of doing them like driving, making and eating food, and having sex. Most of the time, people do not remember doing these things. Consult your health expert if this happens with you.
- The drug may cause sleepiness or lower alertness. This may lead to falls and injuries that may be very bad. Consult your health expert in case of this as well.
- If you are a woman who is taking Ambien CR, then you should take it with care.
- If you are a senior citizen, you should also take Ambien CR with care.
- This medication is not approved for children. The chance of side effects like dizziness and hallucination may raise in children with the intake of the drug if they take it by chance.
- You may not be mentally or physically alert. Do not drive or do other tasks or actions that require for you to be mentally or physically alert on the day after you take Ambien CR.
- Tell your health expert if you’re pregnant or planning to become a mother. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of taking Ambien CR while you’re pregnant.
- Tell your health expert if you’re currently breastfeeding your child. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is Ambien CR best taken?
It’s best to take Ambien CR as per the prescription provided along with the prescribed dose of the drug or as ordered by your health expert. Follow the following instructions carefully:-
- Take Ambien CR only for a short period of time, approximately 7 to 10 days.
- If you still don’t fall asleep after 7 to 10 days, you should consult your health expert.
- Take Ambien CR just before going to sleep.
- Take the drug only once every night.
- Take the drug on an empty stomach.
- Swallow the drug wholly and not chew, break, or crush it.
- Do not take the drug unless you can get a full night’s sleep (at least 7 to 8 hours) before you need to be active again.
What to do if you miss a dose of Ambien CR?
- If you take Ambien CR on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If you are not able to get a full night’s sleep after taking the missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal routine of taking the next dose.
- Do not take 2 doses or an extra dose of the drug at the same time.
- Do not take more than 1 dose of the drug on the same day.
- Many times Ambien CR is taken as per the need of the hour. Do not take it more often than prescribed or ordered by your health expert.
What are some of the side effects of Ambien CR that you may face and need to talk about to your health expert?
Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your health expert right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:-
- Signs of an allergic reaction like rash, hives, itching, red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever, tightness in the chest or throat, facing difficulty in breathing, swallowing, or talking, unusual hoarseness, or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Facing difficulty in breathing, slow breathing, or shallow breathing.
- Feeling confused.
- Change in balance.
- Change in eyesight.
- Memory loss.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
To avoid all these side effects in advance, you should consult your health expert or take Ambien CR by following the instructions mentioned in the prescription.